[Bioperl-l] Saving BLAST reports

Jason Stajich jason at cgt.duhs.duke.edu
Wed Jun 25 13:05:05 EDT 2003

Sure - that's the point and quite often people run the analysis separately
from the parsing.

i.e. I might do
% blastp -i sequences.fas -d swissprot E=0.01 -o myseqs.BLASTP

The I have a script
% cat parsescript.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use Bio::SearchIO;

my $parser = new Bio::SearchIO(-file => 'myseqs.BLASTP',
                               -format => 'blast');
# parser is a SearchIO object
while( my $result = $parser->next_result ) {
}

Now if you still want to run your standaloneblast and have it also save
that file as well as give you the report, then just provide a
'-o' parameter to StandAloneBlast - it will write the output to that file
(but NOT append mind you) and instantiate a SearchIO object using that
file as well.  It should *NOT* be cleaned up when the StandAloneBlast
object is cleaned up, whereas temporary files (created when you don't
provide a -o option) are.

-jason