[Bioperl-l] using LargeSeq objects

Jason Stajich jason at cgt.duhs.duke.edu
Mon Jun 23 18:28:26 EDT 2003

There are still some shortcomings to Bio::DB::Flat I've found that makes
Bio::Index::Fasta still too useful for me to throw out.  This includes the
ease of specifying your own ID parser for fasta.  I'm still not clear if
this can be done to supply multiple IDs for a sequence as well.  I know
that it has the capability for do.  I'm sure it is also confusing to
people as to which indexing (bdb, binaryindex) schemes are appropriate,
etc so would be good to review these.

Bio::DB::Fasta also does things differently because it won't suck an
entire sequence into memory while Bio::Index::Fasta will - I don't think
Bio::DB::Flat will do subsequence offsets as part of its implementation,
but that needs to be investigated as well (and documented) if it is
possible.

-jason