[Bioperl-l] Bio::FeatureHolderI interface confusion

Chris Mungall cjm at fruitfly.org
Tue Jun 17 17:18:29 EDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> Since it's perl one thing I still don't understand about this sort of
> rant popping up once in a while is, why can't we have the interfaces for
> those who like them and those who hate them just ignore them mostly. Why
> does this have to be a quarrel? Why can't different people have
> different OO coding styles?

Difference in styles is fine so long as it's not detrimental to the
accessibility and usability of bioperl.

I don't understand what you are saying. Surely it is impossible to ignore
the interfaces since they are key to understanding how the bioperl object
model works?

Within the "rant" is a valid question:

can I take the features coming out of SeqIO produced Seqs and call methods
such as get_SeqFeature and add_SeqFeature on them? Presumably no, as this
completely violates the contract. If I want to start adding subfeatures,
what am I supposed to do? You answered that question below - I test using
an isa() call. Ok, that makes some sense.

There is also the other question I posed:

If I have a module that builds nested Bio::SeqFeature::Generic objects,
and I want users of that module to use these features as nested objects,
how do I describe these features in my interface/contract?

If I say they conform to Bio::SeqFeatureI then no one can get the nested
features without violating the contract. If I say they conform to
Bio::FeatureHolderI, then no one can use the feature specific methods. Can
I say they conform to both? This seems inconsistent with most formal
interface specification descriptions, such as java, where I would have to
create the cross-product, Bio::SeqFeatureThatIsAHolderI. Should I do this?

In fact, here's a simpler example. I want to create a Bio::SeqI object
that contains nested features. How do I publish that as a contract? a SeqI
is a FeatureHolderI for SeqFeatureI objects. Are the users of my module
meant to guess that the features are nested? How do I specify that
*formally* in my module?

> Your point about when and where are features returned that can nest is
> certainly true. Note also though that what you guys are trying to do is
> the first use case pushing this envelope. None of the SeqIO parsers will
> produce nested features - so people don't necessarily missed out on that
> yet. In fact we had people on the list asking why the list of
> subfeatures is empty. I anticipate you guys to find more things that
> aren't very sensible here.

chadoxml parsers would produce nested features, so this is incorrect.

Also, I'm not sure where the GFF3 parser would sit in the whole *IO
framework (I don't see why this shouldn't go in SeqIO as a GFF3 file will
produce the same kind of data as a genbank parser). GFF3 certainly uses
nested features.

> My personal view is biased towards more interfaces as will be no
> surprise. Interfaces in perl to me have nothing to do with compile time
> whatever, they mostly provide for contracts. Classes change and expand
> all too quickly, and I've experienced that people quickly forget what
> was supposed to be the minimal set of methods you can expect to be
> present. I also like contracts to demand only what they need to demand,
> and flat features make perfect sense to me. I believe interfaces have
> been quite useful e.g. in the SearchIO tree.

It's quite possible you're correct. However, I personally find myself
getting tied in horrendous mental knots trying to figure out which
contracts are meant to be enforced when.

I'm also fairly sure that contract violation is rife.

> And yes, when I want to be sure in my code that a feature has the
> ability to return nested features I ask whether it is a FeatureHolderI
> and throw an exception otherwise. Doing so costs me exactly one line of
> code. Not too bad in my personal view.

Ok, I see. So there is a test, and an implicit cast going on.

It still leaves me uneasy. There's some weird kind of guesswork going on.
If someone switches the underlying implementation from
Bio::SeqFeature::Generic to Bio::SeqFeature::Foo in the SeqIO builders,
and Foo does not implement FeatureHolderI, then it has side effects in
other parts of my code. This is completely contrary to modular software
design. Surely it is this sort of spooky action at a distance that OO
claims to eradicate?

In fact, taking your logic to the extreme, why don't all methods just
advertise themselves as taking in and returning Bio::Root::RootI objects?
It's just one line of code to say

  if ($obj->isa("Bio::SeqFeatureI")) {    ...    }

This is an extreme example, but the point is there shouldn't be weird
guesswork involved. Yes, it's one line to test, but how do I know if my
features will *ever* conform to Bio::FeatureHolderI? Well I know because I
peeked under the covers and saw that Bio::SeqFeature::Generic objects are
created. But this can't be the correct way of doing things? Can it?

(Actually, I suspect it is the way a lot of people use bioperl...)

> Why don't you make a proposal, state how much that's going to destroy
> backward compatibility, list what we would gain from it in exchange,
> identify who's going to refactor the codebase accordingly, and then we
> vote on it.

Shouldn't backwards compatibility be unaffected since interfaces are just
semi-formalized natural language documentation? (Except for "decorator"
interfaces but that's an entirely different rant). I guess it could affect
areas where people test for interfaces using isa().

To be honest, I'm not really up to this. I don't have a clue where to
start refactoring. It gives me a headache to think about. I'm just a
simple man in search of a few answers.

> Otherwise I'm having difficulty seeing the point.

Probably not many people do