[Bioperl-l] Re: stale links, EMBL loading

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Mon Jun 16 08:03:35 EDT 2003

On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 02:19  AM, Niels Larsen wrote:

>> What costs the time is mostly building up the
>> Bio::Seq+SeqFeature+Annotation object model and populating it for
>> every
>> entry. If you don't want the object model to be built, I wouldn't use
>> bioperl. If you do want it to be built and populated, we'd be grateful
>> for suggestions how to build it faster ...
>
> I meant .dat file (with 100,000) entries where I spoke "entry", sorry.
> Ok, I
> should then write a faster non-bioperl-OO parser that creates the
> tables in
> the biosql-schema. That way hopefully I can get my loading done and
> still use bioperl after that. I will tell you when I have it.

What I was referring to was populating the object model in memory, not
the database, as I was talking about the SeqIO parser. You said you
could still live with the speed of the parser. In order to speed up
load-seqdatabase.pl in parallel on different (.dat) files and see if
that satisfies your needs, as doing so would come almost for free ...

My $0.02 ...

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org