[Bioperl-l] strand() question

Steve Chervitz sac at bioperl.org
Tue Jun 10 12:37:03 EDT 2003

The documentation in GenericHit incorrectly refers you to see
SearchUtils. It should instead point you at the interface module which
GenericHit implements: Bio::Search::Hit::HitI::strand(). Here's a link
to the corresponding HTML version for this method:
http://doc.bioperl.org/releases/bioperl-1.2/Bio/Search/Hit/
HitI.html#POD25

I fixed this and similar documentation bugs in GenericHit on the main
trunk.

This brings up the issue of what to do with method documentation in an
interface module and corresponding implementation modules. The approach
I've been favoring is to refer to the interface documentation from the
implementing module and include only implementation-specific docs in
the implementing module's method POD.

The alternative approach is to cut-and-paste the method POD from the
interface into the impl, but this leads to redundancy and
synchronization problems and more maintenance work.

It would be nice to maintain documentation in a single location and
simply refer to it. The HTML links would solve the problem nicely... if
they worked. The POD syntax I've been using doesn't seem to work when
the HTML docs are generated. Here's an example:

=head2 strand

See documentation in
L<Bio::Search::Hit::HitI::strand()|Bio::Search::Hit::HitI>

=cut

I'm not that familiar with Pdoc, but it seems like this sort of thing
should be possible. Anyone have any tips?

Steve