[Bioperl-l] Panel add_track -label option does not work

Wes Barris wes.barris at csiro.au
Thu Jul 31 22:27:24 EDT 2003

Palle Villesen (BiRC) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just checked the script, and here it does change the label nicely. When
> given 0, no label is printed above each segment. When given 1, the $name
> is printed above each and when given a fixed value (like 2 or 'palle' -
> either 2 or palle is printed above each segment).
>
> But I dop agree on quite bad documentation of the Bio::Graphics modules.
> Took me a long time to figure out, and I'm still worried about simple
> problems I can't solve. But check if you saved the perl between testing
> of 0 and 1 - it should work...

You weren't a Microsoft support person in a former life, were you? :-)

Yes, I am saving the perl script between tests.  My computer is plugged
in and turned on.  I have done some more testing.  I have installed
bioperl on several systems:

Redhat 8.0 / Bioperl-1.2.2 / GD 2.07:
	"-label => 1" fails to produce names above the features.
Redhat 7.2 / Bioperl-1.2.1 / GD 1.33:
	"-label => 1" fails to produce names above the features.
Solaris 8  / Bioperl-1.2.2 / GD 1.33:
	"-label => 1" works properly (the name apears above each feature).

There is definately something subtly wrong with either bioperl-1.2.x,
Redhat installations, or some unknown dependency which silently only
affects the drawing of names above the features.

If there is anyone out there who is familiar with the code involved when
setting "-label=>1", can you tell me what I might try to fix this?

--
Wes Barris
E-Mail: Wes.Barris at csiro.au