[Bioperl-l] distant thoughts from a dinosaur...

Chris Mungall cjm at fruitfly.org
Thu Jul 17 11:58:55 EDT 2003

Hi Lincoln

When you say "a clear model", do you necessarily mean object model? If so,
how would this be defined... UML / POD / Class::Contract?

My opinion is that we shouldn't make a decision just yet. It would be
great to explore this using Aaron's bioperl-experimental repository idea -
I'm really keen on this.

Or perhaps the plan is to proceed with bioperl-2.0 immediately, and
independently of bioperl-experimental?

If this is the case, do you think it would be a good idea to have an RFC
process, like perl6?

I am really keen on the idea of starting with a strong, clear design, as
Lincoln suggests. I think the only flaw with the 'extreme programming'
approach that many bioperlers espouse is that it is sort of anti-design.
I'm not advocating we spend 2 years faffing around with rational rose
before writing a line of code... but the core model should be in place at
the beginning.

I also think splitting the mail list might be a good idea.

Cheers
Chris