[Bioperl-l] Installation on Win32

Pauline Ward p.ward at bio.gla.ac.uk
Wed Jul 9 16:21:21 EDT 2003

Hi

I'm having trouble installing BioPerl 1.2.1 on my Win 2000 machine.
Makefile.PL works fine but then when I type 'dmake' I get this error:
dmake.exe:  makefile:  line 1937:  Error -- Input line too long, increase
MAXLINELENGTH

I don't know what MAXLINELENGTH is, but I had no such problem installing
Bundle-BioPerl.

I did some digging on the internet for an answer but I basically couldn't
find any information because all the info is for ActiveState Perl - I chose
the unusual and apparently stupid path of compiling and installing Perl
(5.8.0) from the source distribution. I noticed Brian Osborne posted a
message in May recommending using Cygwin for BioPerl on Windows machines so
I thought it might be a good idea to switch. I installed Cygwin on my PC
today.  However, it doesn't seem to have installed its own Perl: when I
type 'perl -V' it gives me the details of the installation which was
already on my hard drive. Does this mean I need to uninstall Perl before I
can install it under Cygwin? The problem here is that there's no
uninstall.bat file in my Perl directory. Nor does Perl appear in my
Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel (I think it does if you have
ActiveState Perl). So I'm not sure it's possible or safe to install Perl in
Cygwin.

If anyone can come up with a quick fix for the MAXLINELENGTH then I'll
probably just soldier on with my current Perl installation (I should be
getting a UNIX/Linux server to work on soon anyway). Otherwise, any advice
on uninstalling would be welcome. Thanks.

Pauline

Pauline Ward
Wellcome Centre for Molecular Parasitology
56 Dumbarton Rd, Glasgow
tel 0141 330 6766