BPN: BioPerl Nouveau [Was: Re: [Bioperl-l] distant thoughts from a dinosaur...]

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Tue Jul 8 11:23:14 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 07:12  AM, Ewan Birney wrote:

>>>                           ^^^^^^^
>>>     **DOH** missing NOT.  Need Coffee.

>> After a few readings, I found the missing NOT.
>>
>> I think the experimental stuff should stay on it's own list, just as
>> we're
>> keeping it in it's own repository.  Avoids confusion for those who
>> read
>> bioperl-l as users (and cleanly separates "this is a bioperl-live
>> problem"
>> posts from the "this is a bioperl-exp issue" messages ...)
>>

> Hmmm. I'd vote not for this - by having two discussion groups we tend
> split the people and as long as the experimental stuff is not too long
> winded, people will cope. Threaded mail/news readers also implicitly
> help
> this.
>

> Other peoples views?

I'm ambivalent on this. I agree with the cross-posting madness that may
easily ensue, but I can also imagine myself as a newbie getting
confused quickly by a heated thread about bioperl-exp that has zero
relevance to me.

In light of the - to me undeniable - risk to scare away or completely
confuse people who are just picking up bioperl, if Aaron wants to
separate this into its own list I'd lend my vote to Aaron. Even more so
given that this decision won't be carved in stone.

That is, my view is, power to the leaders of bioperl-exp. I don't mind
subscribing to 21 mailing lists instead of 20.

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org