[Bioperl-l] bug #1396: *.PL to *.pod conversion is broken, make bailsout

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Wed Feb 26 14:02:17 EST 2003

No change, same error. The problem really is that the text is a
'here'-document enclosed between <<"THEEND" and ^THEEND. Perl doesn't
treat that as a script nor scans for documentation contained in there,
but it does substitute variables with their values. In fact, this is
the whole purpose of the .PL variant: if you look at the start of the
text, there is $Local{VERSION}, which gets converted to "1.2" in the
resulting POD.

The problem is - all the 'variables' which are merely in code snippets
for documentation purposes get substituted as well. Check what happens
to all the $something variables in the POD text -- do you still see
them in the generated POD? I just see emptiness in their place in the
POD ...

This is running perl 5.6.0 on Mac OSX, but the net effect shouldn't be
much different on any other version > 5.005 (since that's why the .PL
is there in the first place).

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org