[Bioperl-l] Bio::Ontology::Term needs Bio::Annotation::Reference

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Wed Dec 17 01:22:19 EST 2003

On Wednesday, December 10, 2003, at 03:26  AM, Juguang Xiao wrote:

> The term presenting InterPro record has the lists of attribute such as
> examples in the member database, which acts as
> Bio::Annotation::DBLink, and the related publications, which should be
> presented by Bio::Annotation::Reference, but the current Term does not
> contain that. So I will append the following pretty simple methods if
> no objections from the list.
>
> add_reference (accept an array of arguments)
> get_references
> remove_references

Do you want to add this to Term or to InterProTerm only? Could make
sense to add it to Term already (Bio::Ontology::Term, from which
InterProTerm inherits). If you do that, don't forget to add it to
Bio::Ontology::TermI as well.

> Accordingly, the biosql schema should have term_ref table, similar to
> term_dbxref. (I leave this to Hilmar)

Hm. What bothers me about this is that slowly but steadily terms become
redundant in their properties to bioentries. Also, when retrieving
terms, the language binding code needs to look up all possible
relationships for every term, as it doesn't know in advance that e.g.
for GO terms there aren't going to be any references. (Uhm, maybe this
isn't really true anymore anyway?)

OK so maybe that's what needs to be done then ...

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org