[Bioperl-l] RNA fold

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Sat Dec 6 14:48:45 EST 2003

I think, like the rest, that RNAFold may be the easiest way to go.
mfold is a free program but distribution is bound up by licensing
issues (I have it but can't redistribute it due to this; the web
interfaces available have some limitations which I couldn't do
without).  RNAFold doesn't have these problems and the source code is
available on the web, plus (like Jason pointed out) there are perl
interfaces.  There is also something in the book Genomic Perl on
calculating energies and drawing secondary structures, but I haven't
checked it out in detail.

Personally, I am working on a bioperl parser for the RNAmotif program
suite (used to search for conserved secondary structures based on a
descriptor).  The rnamotif program is able to pass the motif hits to
efn or efn2 for calculating free energy (based on different energy
rules) and can output CT format files.  I'm also thinking about doing
something similar for tRNAscan-SE and ERPIN at some point.  The problem
I'm running into is how to store the secondary structure output for
inclusion into GFF databases (I'm currently using
Bio::SeqFeature::Generic for storing features).  Anyone?

Chris Fields
Postdoctoral Reseacher - Dept. of Biochemistry