[Bioperl-l] the roundup (long)

Steve Chervitz steve_chervitz at affymetrix.com
Thu Aug 14 18:54:44 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Aug 14, 2003, at 05:33 US/Pacific, Jason Stajich wrote:

> I've added a bunch of new things and fixed some bugs, wanted to try and
> summarize before I get too busy and forget the details.

Good on you, Jason.

> [Bio::SearchIO]
>
> Additionally a SearchIO::blasttable has been added which can parse
> NCBI -m
> 8 or -m 9 output for those just needing some minimal information.

Just the other week, I was thinking that Bioperl needs this. Glad to
see you've already done it. Parsing speed and memory usage should be
improved, eh?

Speaking of blast table parsing, it would really be useful if the NCBI
blast tabular output included the length of the hit and query
sequences. This would enable the frac_aligned methods of the Hit and
HSP objects to work. Being able to determine the percent of the hit and
query that are aligned is often vital.

I recently mentioned this to a member of the NCBI blast development
team (Tom Madden) and he seemed pretty receptive to putting this in.
Don't know what the timeframe would be.

Steve