[Bioperl-l] problems with installing Bioperl on OSX

Brian Osborne brian_osborne at cognia.com
Fri Aug 1 12:40:58 EDT 2003

Madis,

For installation in "non-standard" locations you need to do something like
this (from the INSTALL file):

INSTALLING BIOPERL IN A PERSONAL OR PRIVATE MODULE AREA

 If you lack permission to install perl modules into the
 standard site_perl/ system area you can configure bioperl to
 install itself anywhere you choose. Ideally this would
 be a personal perl directory or standard place where you
 plan to put all your 'local' or personal perl modules.

 Note: you _must_ have write permission to this area.

 Simply pass a parameter to perl as it builds your system
 specific makefile.

 Example:

   perl Makefile.PL  LIB=/home/dag/My_Local_Perl_Modules
   make
   make test
   make install

 This tells perl to install bioperl in the desired place, e.g.:

  /home/dag/My_Perl_Modules/Bio/Seq.pm

 Then in your Bioperl script you would write:

  use lib "/home/dag/My_Local_Perl_Modules";
  use Bio::Seq;

 The man pages will probably be installed in $LIB/man. For more
 information on these sorts of custom installs see the documentation
 for ExtUtils::MakeMaker.

 See below for how to use modules that are not installed in the
 standard Perl5 location.

BIO