[Bioperl-l] Question about embl format

Lincoln Stein lstein at cshl.org
Thu Apr 17 10:45:02 EDT 2003

Hello,

The "sequence dumper" plugin for the Generic Genome Browser has been crashing
when making an EMBL dump of a particular region of the worm genome.  The
issue is a "Transposon_insertion" feature, which exceeds the 15 character
limit for EMBL feature tags.  If I remove the Bio::SeqIO::embl check for this
limit, I get an output that looks like this:

FT   Transposon_insertion complement(13204595..13204596)
FT                   /score=""
FT                   /group="cxP4108"
FT                   /id=7726466
FT                   /method="Transposon_insertion"
FT                   /source="Allele"
FT                   /phase=""
FT   repeat          13204572..13204602
FT                   /score=80
FT                   /group=""
FT                   /notes="loop 283"
FT                   /id=7775180
FT                   /method="repeat"
FT                   /source="inverted"
FT                   /phase=""
FT                   /note="score=80"

My question is whether this is acceptable embl format?  If not, I will have to
truncate feature type names at 15 characters, but this is going to lose
information.

Lincoln