[Bioperl-l] SeqIO parsing

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:15:54 -0700

On Tuesday, September 24, 2002, at 02:57 PM, Ewan Birney wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
>
>> but always throw no matter what. Which is OK I think.
>>
>> Likewise, warn() only warns, and does not die.
>
> Except that the whole point of warn is that you can set it at a
> per-object
> level to throw or to stack trace etc via verbosity.
>

> In fact, that's the whole point of $obj->verbose(1);
>

> I know Jason likes this, so it is worth doing....

sure - no question - my point was different: what if you hit a call
to throw()/warn() and friends in an interface, not in an
implementation. Then I say you have to live with the fact that
verbose() is not honoured, which my point was should be fine. This
means, you wouldn't need verbose() implemented in RootI (or
implemented such that throw() always throws, and warn always warns,
which is what a return of 0 would do.

Conversely, if you throw() in an implementation inheriting from
Root.pm, then you can influence by calling verbose(...).

Am I confusing or missing something?

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org