[Bioperl-l] sp. and gen. in species definition

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:18:48 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Jason Stajich wrote:

> Ditto - try the plasmid AE003851 - just hit this this morning.  I'm all
> for lack of validation of the species name.
>
> BTW I just wrote a simple script scripts/taxa/taxid4species.PLS which
> allows retrieval of taxa id from NCBI for a genus + species name.  Would
> like to integrate that into a module at some point just not sure where it
> would go.

I think we should have a Bio::DB::SpeciesI.pm and implementation which
would go off to NCBI for both

   taxa_id ---> classifcations

   classifcation ---> taxa_id

I have seamless reading of EMBL and GenBank on my to do list for 1.2