[Bioperl-l] Re: [Bioperl-guts-l] BioPerl Installation failure--help!!!!!!!

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:39:26 -0400 (EDT)

I know that people "feel good" when tests pass, but they aren't necessary
to use the toolkit.  Did you try and run example scripts or do anything
with bioperl?  You can do quite a lot of things without any external
modules.

You need expat and libgd installed to install XML::Parser::PerlSAX and GD
respectively.  You only need these modules if you plan to parse XML or use
the Bio::Graphics tools.

To install bioperl and not worry about the tests passing.

CPAN> force install Bio::Seq

Quite a lot of things will run.
In the future we're making things more permissive and trying to remove
some external module dependancies -- understand there is a two-way pull
here, we want to focus on the biological question so why remake a
perfectly good module that exists already, and we want the toolkit to be
drag and drop easy to install.  CPAN should make that easier, but the
onous is on the writers of those modules as well.

Anyways, the SimpleAlign bug exposed in changes between perl 5.6 and perl
5.8.0.

Biblio/BioFetch/DB/EMBL_DB/Perl all need network access and or local
configuration of your env variables if your access is through a proxy.
Many mailings on the list about this use the htdig search tool on the
front page to find any of these good pointers.

-jason

--
Jason Stajich
Duke University