[Bioperl-l] array attribute method naming convention

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 00:15:43 -0700

I thought there is one which is each_<object>, add_<object>, and
remove_<object>, but I realize there are several, which means there
is none followed consistently.

I think this should be fixed, and before 1.2, because it only adds
to the confusion and learning curve, for users as well as new module
developers. The existing meththeods can still be kept but deprecated.

So, if there was a decision some time ago that I just missed, what
was the result?

If there was no decision yet, are people happy with the convention
given above? Another one I've seen is get_<attribute_in_plural>,
add_<attribute_in_singular>. Also possible is <attribute_in_plural>
(get only, or get and set), add_<attribute_in_singular>.

Votes? Thoughts? Other suggestions?

If there is a chance to vote for a radical convention change, I'd
vote for that, and my preferred convention would be
<attribute_or_object_in_plural> (get + set),
add_<attribute_or_object_in_singular> (remove is not necessary
because of the set before).

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org