[Bioperl-l] Push for 1.1.1 developer's release this week

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:26:33 +0100 (BST)

By the end of this week, I would like to push for a 1.1.1 developers
release.

Just to remind people, as of 1.0 series we are adopting the linux
convention of even-numbered releases being stable and odd numbered
releases being "destablising" developers releases.

Criteria for the odd numbered releases is that they pass all tests on
developer machines, but there are not requirements for APIs or
documentation to be stable. Of course, we hope that we are not moving too
much of bioperl around under people's feet, so we hope *most* of the
documentation and *most* of the API are pretty stable and make sense.

Developers releases are pushed out to the bioperl ftp site as a tarball
and tagged in cvs but no branch. They are not pushed to CPAN.

We are under some pressure for 1.2 to get out as NCBI will remove thei
rold web access system and only allow their current Elink system to work
from Jan 2003 onwards.

1.1 series (and so 1.2 when it branches) is Elink good, so we have to make
the switch by then ;)

Hilmar/Elia/Heikki/Chris - is there anything I should wait for for the
1.1.1 before letting it get out there? Any thoughts by anyone?

I will be looking ideally at parsing speed if Aaron hasn't found all the
bottlenecks before me ;)

e.

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.