[Bioperl-l] New Fink Bioperl dependency installer, etc.

Steven Cannon cann0010@tc.umn.edu
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 15:05:12 -0500

On Wednesday, September 4, 2002, at 12:02 PM, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> I used CPAN, but not BioPerl::Bundle (I just installed the various
> dependencies; I work on the cvs HEAD). It does try to update Perl at
> some point, but you can interrupt that step (that's what I did: ^C) and
> it just carries on with the other modules. As far as I can tell, it
> works.
OK. I might add a note to this effect.

> The problem with LWP is still there, it did override my system head (do
> you happen to know where I can get the original one? Can you send me
> yours?)

You can recover the system 'head' in by copying it from the OS X install
CD. This might not be obvious, because the true contents of the install
CD is hidden somehow by the ordinary browser view, but you can see
what's really there from the command line - for example,

% cd '/Volumes/Mac OS X Upgrade CD'
% ls
       Applications         System               etc                  sbin
       Desktop DB           Welcome to Mac OS X  mach                 tmp
       Desktop DF           bin                  mach_kernel          usr
       Library              dev                  private              var
% ls usr/bin/head
       usr/bin/head

I am not clear, however, what happens when LWP then tries to use its own
HEAD, but finds head. In any case, my Bioperl and system seem to be OK
with just 'head' in /usr/bin.

> I tried to install some perl packages and their dependencies with Fink,
> but wasn't very happy with the results. E.g., some packages (GD for
> example, MySQL) required C-libs to be available; first, Fink didn't
> have the required versions, and second after installing it myself it
> didn't appreciate the stuff being there now. That was all 2 months ago,
> so things may be different by now.

The Fink bioperl-pm is newer than this, so the process should be
different now. I don't think that this package installer takes care of
GD, though. I added instructions to the bottom of my site indicating how
I dealt with GD, gd, and libpng and libjpeg. This is one that I wasn't
able to do manually -- I ended up using Fink, as it turns out, but from
the stable Fink branch, using 'fink install gd'.

- Steven Cannon