[Bioperl-l] description length

Hilmar Lapp lapp@gnf.org
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:19:26 -0700 (PDT)

In Bio::DescribableI we say

       description

        Title   : description
        Usage   : $string    = $obj->description()
        Function: A text string suitable for displaying to the user a
                  description. This string is likely to have spaces, but
                  should not have any newlines or formatting - just plain
                  text. The string should not be greater than 255
characters
                  and clients can feel justified at truncating strings at
255
                  characters for the purposes of display
        Returns : A scalar

Bio::PrimarySeq::desc is mapped to this. However, some descriptions in
Swissprot are longer than 255 chars. (I'm realizing this while being
thrown out by Oracle while loading swissprot/bioperl-db; MySQL just
silently truncated it.)

Are we happy with this possible truncation (i.e., strict DescribableI
enforcement)? I'll open up the column width (becomes a TEXT in MySQL) in
biosql; my point is rather to point out that the above definition doesn't
play well with factual data when you want to round-trip and have an
enforcing implementation (could be your schema) somewhere in the chain.

What would the problem with relaxing the field width or removing it
entirely?

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp@gnf.org