[Bioperl-l] Re: questions and freeze

Dan Kortschak Dan Kortschak <kortschak@rsbs.anu.edu.au>
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 08:52:19 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Jason Stajich wrote:

> I'm wary of changing the object - I understand your reasons, but I'd
> rather we build a separate set of objects like Bio::Taxonomy::Species to
> handle what you are trying to accomplish and then we can show that it
> should swap in for Bio::Species and eventually deprecate Bio::Species.
> This is because you have to remember there is a lot of history in the
> current API so big changes to core objects need to be thought about some.

That's what I was thinking too, I wasn't sure what to do about it. I think
that probably a Bio::Taxonomy::Taxon that takes on the function would be
the way to go - since that doesn't then assume that you are talking about
a species.

> Are you sure your recent_common_ancestor isn't a duplication of our
> get_lca() that is part of Bio::Tree::TreeFunctionI interface

No, recent_common_ancestor can find the phylogenetic common ancestor
(which may not yet be included in the same tree structure )while
lca finds the common ancestor already in a tree, being based on the
internal id rather than an externally defined taxonomic level and taxon
name. Though they look pretty similar other than that.

> > When you have time, comments and answers would be appreciated.
> >

> Okay, other people are interested in this as well so it makes sense for
> you to post a lot of this to the list.  Aaron Mackey and some folks in
> Bill Pearson's lab are using these objects for their own work as well.
> I'll try and look over things, but busy busy these week so getting
> feedback from the whole community is often better.
>
> In general, I'd rather like to see the Taxonomic objects extend the
> existing Node interface which was intended to be generic and not
> necessarily represent species or sequences.  Because, taxonomies !=
> phylogenetic trees I don't want people to think we are generalizing the
> two.  So I'd like to see your changes be extensions (in the OO sense) of
> Bio::Tree::Node that live in Bio::Taxonomy.  More to think about here.

Where it's been non-redundant, I think that's what I've done - if there
was a useful method in Bio::Tree::Node I used that hence inheritance from
that class rather than Bio::Tree::NodeI (while I was writing, I wasn't
comfortable with it, but...). Though looking back, there's some weird
stuff in what I wrote :) -> I'll go over what I've done and sort that out
over the next few days.

cheers
Dan

--

  The address above will not work, remove the spanner from the works.

By replying to this email you implicitly accept that your response may
be forwarded to other recipients.
Permission is granted for fair use reproduction.