[Bioperl-l] All done with Bio::DB::Query

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gnf.org
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 23:14:08 -0800

I was just wondering why we need to deprecate it if it works nicely
using the new code. Also, if you really want to deprecate it, it
should become undocumented. My suggestion is to not deprecate it
(for 1.2), but remove documentation. This way new users won't pick
it up easily by accident, but old clients continue to run
undisturbed.

As for module name clash, there is none yet. There might just be one
in the future, but frankly I don't think it's likely to happen. The
only thing that lets me favor a name change is that Bio::DB::Query
in bioperl-db is about object-relational queries, whereas
Bio::DB::Query in bioperl-live now is about (sequence-)databank
queries. Might be clearer for users who have both installed to have
them end up in different namespaces.

	-hilmar