[Bioperl-l] Start of obsessive testing; Makefile too long

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 16:22:50 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Ewan Birney wrote:

> I was planning to start obessive testing for getting towards 1.2 but...
> now we have gone over Digital UNIX's commandline rules in the Makefile
> system
>

> ecs1h[birney]50: make test
> Make: line too long.  Stop.
>

> (a) - What is the work around (I am using Perl 5.6.1 here). Probably:
>
>    o With latest ExtUtils::MakeMaker module installed SGI/IRIX should
>       not run into trouble running the makefile

This may be true - but we've gotten mixed reports on this end.

I think the right solution is to implementing our own methods in the
Makefile so that people don't need to upgrade their ExtUtils:

I believe we just need to fix

sub MY::pm_to_blib {}

perhaps as simple as copying the code from the 5.8.x versions of
MakeMaker?

See POD for ExtUtils::MakeMaker, ExtUtils::MM_Unix
I never got around to trying to do this so I'm not 100% it is the best
soln.

We should look into whether or not to include IO::String in the
distro or if we just pkg it up in easy to get tarball for people?