[Bioperl-l] EST Alignment questions

Jamie Hatfield jamie@genome.arizona.edu
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 08:20:49 -0700

> From: Lincoln Stein [mailto:lstein@cshl.org]
> <snip>
> What we need is a text-based alignment pretty-printer that
> will accept
> SimpleAlign alignments and output them with the pads
> inserted.  The BioPerl
> alignment modules have been written to do the inverse task-- to parse
> pretty-printed alignments produced by external programs.

What would be wrong with using code like

|  my $Align = new Bio::SimpleAlign();
|  my $out = Bio::AlignIO->new(-fh => \*STDOUT, -format => 'clustalw');
|  $out->write_aln($Align);

to get the alignment?  I guess the fact that it has to send output to a
file is a bummer, but other than that, would it "do"?  Or are you
wanting back one line at a time?

In a totally unrelated, newbie question, why do some objects (like
SimpleAlign) get instanciated with a new whereas others (like AlignIO)
are instanciated with a method?  Or is new Bio::SimpleAlign() the same
as Bio::SimpleAlign->new()?  (pardon my ignorance, please)

Thanks.

-
Jamie Hatfield                                Room 541H, Marley Building
Systems Programmer                            University of Arizona
Arizona Genomics Computational                Tucson, AZ  85721
  Laboratory (AGCoL)                          (520) 626-9598