[Bioperl-l] Proposal: SemanticMapping and call for info on GeneObjects

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock@yahoo.co.uk
Wed, 15 May 2002 18:14:34 +0100

Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> That's a perl implementation right? :)
>
> BTW has anyone checked where BioJava stands in this regard? How does actually Apollo deal with that, i.e., does Apollo have a class hierarchy representing Genes and constituents? I think Dave is checking into that. Dave?
>

> 	-hilmar

Hum.

We have the interfaces for things like genes (in
org.biojava.bio.seq.genomic). We have the flexible pipe-lined sequence
IO API (SeqIOListener & SeqIOBuilder & SeqIOFilter). We haven't yet
written the sequence IO handlers that intercept flat feature creation
events (like CDS) and emit tree feature creation events (like gene
models). We would extends SeqIOFilter and it would consume feature
creation requests of particular types untill the endSequence method was
called. Then, it would pattern-match its internal data-structure of
requests against some rules, pass on the feature creation requests to
the wrapped listener, clear any caches and then lastly pass on the
endSequence notification. The thing it passes events on to may be
another feature re-writing filter, or something else, so we could layer
rules and transforms arbitrarily deep. I think that's similar to the
bioperl plan.

This all sort of smells like xslt.

Matthew