[Bioperl-l] StandAloneBlast and tempfiles

Peter Kos, PhD kos@rite.or.jp" <kos@rite.or.jp
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 20:30:14 +0900

Hi,

the StandAloneBlast swiftly and smoothly filled the file system of
/tmp/
at the first overnight run. I've already figured out how it happened,
so I
inserted a small code at the end of each cycle (of many local Blasts)
which now deletes the temporary files, which in fact were not really
temporary.
Now I am happy to see that it is going to be fixed within the module,
so others
will not have this problem.
I have some questions, however.
1.,
I could not figure out how to SET the $TEMPDIR. It would be nice to
try
whether the program speeds up a bit if I place the $TEMPDIR in
another physical
volume, not messing with the op.system. Furthermore, this way I could
run
more than one instances of this script without limitations.
2.,
=offtopic
Could someone help me out, how to set the buffer of the command line
in tcsh/Solaris?
(Or how else to circumvent this:) (Or whom to ask)
I am really sick of these error messages like:
"/bin/ls: Arg list too long"
after
>ls -1 *.scf > fofn
or simply
>rm /tmp/*
It was really fun writing the first couple of perl script aliases for
built-in UNIX commands,
but now it is enough.
I admit that I have more than many files, but that's why I do not use
a Commodore64.
=cut

Your help would really be highly appreciated

Peter