[Bioperl-l] new cvs module bioperl-runnable

Elia Stupka elia@fugu-sg.org
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:28:56 +0800 (SGT)

> It is unclear how the tests should run - should they be separated into the
> specific cvs modules or still located in the t/ directory of bioperl-live.
> I am leaning towards bioperl-live t directory since we will plan to
> distribute the modules as a single tarball - devs will just need to know
> how to set their own PERL5LIB.  I think this is how ensembl does the
> distributed modules with a single test suite in the ensembl cvs module.
> Opinions?

In Ensembl we do have tests in each of the cvs module, and I must say it
kinda makes sense to me intuitively to find the tests there. Also if I
have not checked out bioperl-run because I am not interested in it, why
would I want to run the tests?

Finally, specifically in the case of bioperl-run, most tests will really
only run if the binaries are installed, so again, if I have no binaries
and am not interested, I will just see tons of tests being skipped.

Strongly in favour of tests in each cvs module... ;)

(About LazySeqs, I was proposing EmptySeq because I thought the whole
issue was not how to represent lazy fetched sequences, but simply when one
does not want to have a sequence at all, but knows its length and has
features...)

Elia

--
* http://www.fugu-sg.org/~elia *