[Bioperl-l] 1.01 RC2

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 20:29:15 -0400 (EDT)

When you find problems like this the easiest thing to do is look at the
code of the module, you'see see that we're setting the internal
class variables in the BEGIN block.  You can always see the internals of
any module by typing
% perldoc -m MODULENAME

you may want to pipe this to a pager program like 'more' or 'less' so you
can scroll through the code.

The line:
     $DATADIR =  $ENV{'BLASTDATADIR'} || $ENV{'BLASTDB'} || '';
shows you how the module makes its choice about which variable to use.  If
you have them both set, it is only going to default to the value of
BLASTDATADIR.

You have many options,
add the line
$Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast = $ENV{'BLASTDB'} || $ENV{'BLASTDATADIR'};

to your own script or you can set a hardcoded value here if you want your
script to be runnable by others in your group or a cronjob which may not
have their env variable set.

You can also specify the full path of the database in the parameter for
'database' setting the value to
'database => "$ENV{'BLASTDB'}/swissprot"

You may also want to set 'p' in your parameters, 'p' => 'blastp' as I
think that blast is no longer defaulting to blastp as that appears to be
what your warning is about below.

Cheers.
-jason

--