[Bioperl-l] OMIM parser

Chris Zmasek czmasek@gnf.org
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 15:20:38 -0700

Hi!

I am in the process of writing a parser for the OMIM database (to be submitted to Bioperl).

Not all entries in OMIM are linked to a gene/locus, some of them are just diseases without a associated gene, for example the entry for "ABDOMINAL AORTIC ANEURYSM" (100070).

Therefore I am not clear what the best output for such a parser might be:
Sequence objects (without a actual "sequence string") or annotation objects?
If the output consists of sequence objects, entries without a associated gene would have to be ignored.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Christian [czmasek@gnf.org]