[Bioperl-l] Bio::Tools::BPbl2seq : throw() on empty report (fwd)

Jean-Jack Riethoven pow@ebi.ac.uk
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 16:50:22 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

I am using BPbl2seq to scan a humungous amount of small local alignments,
and I have a question on the action taken when a report is empty (no hit).

Currently (latest live from cvs), BPbl2seq throws an exception, halting
the program. It -used- to be that it just returned undef on next_feature
(or nextSbjct->nextHSP), which seems to be a lot nicer to me (since we are
all checking what we get back, right?).

Is there a specific reason why an empty report now throws a fatal
error? If there is, can there be an 'option' to not think of empty reports
as errors.

(I have currently fixed BPbl2seq for my preferred behaviour)

With kind regards,

Jean-Jack Riethoven

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton           pow@ebi.ac.uk     ICQ#: 3433929
European Bioinformatics Institute   Phone: (+44) 1223 494635
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus        Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SD         URL  : http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/
UNITED KINGDOM