[Bioperl-l] Looking good.

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 15:16:29 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Brian Osborne wrote:

> Ewan et al,
>
> >>(3) Top level documentation: We need to overhaul bioperl.pod,
> >>biostart.pod, bptutorial.pl, README to all work together. Peter I assumme
> >>will be doing bptutorial - Peter - do you still have time? Does anyone
> >>want to work on the other modules?
>
> I made some minor changes to biostart.pod a while back, and in so doing saw
> that it was largely superceded by bptutorial.pl, though it has a nice
> discussion of the Seq object. I'd be happy to work on biostart.pod but first
> give me a clearer sense of what you'd like to be done. Make it more like a
> true 'start' document? with various references to existing resources?
> Currently it gives the impression of being unfinished....

I am happy for us to blow away biostart.pod and concentrate people on
bptutorial.pl

What we have got to make sure is that newbies get directed to the right
file. So - for example - we might do this:

   - blow away biostart.pod
   - rename bptutorial.pl to bioperl_tutorial.pl
     (easier for newbies?)

   - have the start of README go

  * Getting Started *

The easiest way to get started with bioperl is to read the tutorial in
bioperl_tutorial.pl go

   perldoc bioperl_tutorial.pl

and generally sort it out

I am assumming that we are going to delete something (!) in there... we
have at least one too many file that it looks like you should read...

Go for it Brian...

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.