[Bioperl-l] guessing molecule type

Andrea Schafferhans andrea.schafferhans@lionbioscience.com
Tue, 08 Jan 2002 14:16:07 +0100

Dear bioperl developers,

Thanks a lot for the great modules you have developed!

In using the sequence objects I have come across the problem that the
molecule type cannot always be guessed correctly if the molecule is of
type RNA, since the sequence may contain non-standard bases that are
best represented by an X. Wouldn't it therefore be sensible to not only
remove all gaps from the sequence before guessing the type, but also all
Xs?

Of course, I can change that in my local bioperl installation, but I
thought the idea might be useful for others. -- So is anyone going to
change this in _guess_type / _guess_alphabet (whatever the method is
called now)?

     Cheers
         Andrea

--

  Dr. Andrea Schafferhans    mail: Andrea.Schafferhans@lionbioscience.com
                             fon:  +49-6221-4038-410         fax: ...-201