[Bioperl-l] re: blast database()

Steve Chervitz sac@bioperl.org
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 00:38:38 -0800 (PST)

The Bio::Tools::Blast::Sbjct::database() method no longer provides any useful
information. It's been unofficially deprecated for some time. The reason is that
extracting database info from the sequence identifier in a BLAST hit was highly
error-prone, so this is no longer done. The Bio::Tools::Blast::database() probably
gets you what you need. Or, better, switch over to the new Bio::SearchIO facility as
Jason mentioned. The Result object has a database_name() method. (Again, note that
there is no hit-specific database method in the new SearchIO system).

Steve
--
Steve Chervitz
sac@bioperl.org