[Bioperl-l] Bioperl 1.0alpha

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 16:56:44 +0000 (GMT)

As mentioned earlier I have tar balled up Bioperl 1.0 alpha. It is
available at

  ftp://bio.perl.org/pub/DIST/

as

  bioperl-1.0.alpha.tar.gz

The main reason for the version numbering change is just to emphasise to
everyone that we are *serious* about releasing 1.0. At this point our main
focus should be documentation --- there are still some cornors to the code
that need cleaning out --- I suspect alot of this will be sorted out in
the second hackathon (Cape Town) where Jason, Heikki and I can bash on it
(or probably more correctly on the plane to Cape Town, assumming we don't
get knee-capped on the plane.

Many thanks to Brian Osborne and Peter Schattner for updating/reviewing
the documentation, especially from the perspective of the new comer. I
feel the first introduction documentation looks really good. Can other
people check this out?

So --- outstanding jobs in my view

  (a) write Bio::SearchIO::Writer::html so we can shoot Bio::Tools::Blast
(sorry Steve).

  (b) Review by people who should be reviewing.. (!) Doh!

Then - branch

   - on release, list of modules to prune - I think
Bio::Tools::SwissProtParser should go, as it is really waiting for an
event based SeqIO framework (now... that is going to be a real shakeup -
*definitely* not 1.0 stuff).

Should we be releasing just bioperl-live as the 1.0 release or
bioperl-all? If so, how much do we need to cross check bioperl-all? Yadda,
yadda. This could get complex!

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.