[Bioperl-l] Bio::Graphics

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 18:44:05 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Lincoln Stein wrote:

> Actually Bio::Graphics does introduce a dependency on the GD module, which is
> usually found on Linux distributions, but not universal.  I hadn't thought of
> that.
>
> I could add Bio::Graphics to the existing bioperl-gui package, but I'm
> not so keen to do that since it is hidden on the FTP site.  From the
> bioperl.org main page takes two clicks and a cut-and-paste to get to
> the bioperl-gui distribution.  Yargs.

I want to use a CVS trick to combine elements from different CVS modules
into a single checkout - I would also like us to do a better job with the
whole distribution set of packages.  We should do a better job providing
links to all the sets of packages that we have regardless of whether or
not Bio::Graphics makes it into bioperl-live or bioperl-gui.  Its on my
list but happy for our webteam or other volunteers to help out here.

In the meantime I'd prefer Bio::Graphics to live in bioperl-gui but only
if we can make it really easy for people to get it.  In bioperl-gui I also
checked in some modules called MapView contributed by a third party that
have not been bioperl-alized (named init parameters, regression tests,
Bio::Root::Root inheritance and exception throwing)

-j