[Bioperl-l] Where to place supplementary info for HOWTOs

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:28:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Lincoln Stein wrote:

> I've checked in the first part of the Graphics HOWTO.  Where do I place
> supplementary info like figures, test data and example scripts?  Currently
> I've got all the supplementary info in docs/howto/sgml/graphics, but I'm not
> sure how this is going to work when the docbook is turned into HTML and the
> inline images go dangling.

That is a problem I suspect but I think it makes things as local
references -- are you thinking we should have a single directory for all
supporting cast images or just a specific one for each howto (
'graphics' could be considered appropriate for either).

I would go ahead and call it graphics -- Some day soon I hope, we should
be able to bulk produce all of the docbook files with some fancy work
added to the Makefile.PL.  Ideally the makefile producure can make a new
directory doc/html which would put all the converted files, build an
index, and this would be a dir we could then dump directly on the
webserver with little or no more work.  My hope anyways.  Depends on how
much we can reuse from the linux howtos or if this is a separate beast
entirely.

Setting this up is a job for a perl coder who wants to help but doesn't
have good grasp on all the informatics/biology just yet (I *KNOW* you're
out there!).

-jason

> Is the plan to convert the docbook docs into html and text before each
> release?

I would think so -- everyone is not required to write things in
Docbook for those of your cringing.  We may do a TXT2HTML conversion just
to provide a nice webpage for everything when the time is right.

-jason