[Bioperl-l] Bio::SeqIO::fasta.pm

nkuipers nkuipers@uvic.ca
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:22:52 -0700

>Any votes from the core or from people on the list? I don't have a strong
view here. I recall having seen somewhere that indeed the presence of the name
is optional, but I'm not sure.

I would vote in the direction of the barest distinguishing identifier
required, even if that is no more than an otherwise meaningless alphanumeric:

sequence...
sequence...

or

>1
sequence...
>2
sequence...

or whatever.

That way you can retain sequence delimiting (which > by itself does) and still
throw the FASTA file into programs like clustalx and BLAST without them
complaining.  Easier to go back and identify a sequence at any given stage of
your overall process too.

Nathanael Kuipers