[Bioperl-l] makefile on alpha

Elia Stupka elia@fugu-sg.org
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 02:30:19 +0800 (SGT)

Since I hadn't received any nice "Oh just fix it like this" comments on
the problem of the makefile for bioperl being too long for alpha, I set
off on a mad search for a solution. You can read details in the mail
below, which involved getting gnumake to compile on alpha which turns out
to be a nightmare... anyway at the end of it all realised that make is not
the only problem, the main problem is the 'sh' command itself which
exceeds the number of arguments allowed by MAX_ARGS in the kernel.

*BUT* the simplest, crazy as it sounds solution is to run make -i (for
ignore errors) and make test will work nicely. Horrible hack but if all
you want at the end of the day is to be able to run make test on systems
were it's too complicated to get around the problem... use make -i

If somebody is willing to look into this (I am dead by now) another fix at
least for people who have gnumake version higher than 3.76 is to introduce
the wordlist command in the makefile, as detailed here:

http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=2093588&list=380

Elia

* http://www.fugu-sg.org/~elia *
* tel:    +65 6874 1467        *