[Bioperl-l] a quick note

nkuipers nkuipers@uvic.ca
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:14:48 -0700

I just wanted to formally introduce myself, let people know my slant on
bioinformatics at this time.

I am in the Dept. of Biology at the University of Victoria (Victoria BC
Canada) and am on the computational team for GRASP (Genomics Research on
Atlantic Salmon Project), sort of the Atlantic salmon equivalent of the Human
Genome Project.  My particular task is to search through our sequences and
delineate repetitive elements, and for this I use REPuter
(http://www.genomes.de/), BLAST, as well as some EMBOSS tools.  REPuter in
particular requires a lot of jumping through hoops to maintain data formatted
in a standard manner.  My own scripts at this point either munge output from
one program so that it can be fed into the next, or parse output for
data-mining.

Hope everyone is doing well,

Nathanael Kuipers