[Bioperl-l] question about the nature of bioperl

nkuipers nkuipers@uvic.ca
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:55:15 -0700

Thanks for your reply.  I am relatively new to open source development and had
not considered that bit about "no one praises you".  I started looking into
bioperl a little while ago, and asked my supervisor why we don't use it.  His
answer was that using anything from bioperl seems to require lots of other
things used just so; in other words, it's too intertwined with itself.  And
indeed, between CPAN modules for parsing etc. and our own code, we do well
enough, seemingly more simply.  Your points were all well made however, I
appreciate the insight.  I personally am interested in further exploring
bioperl.

Best regards,

Nathanael Kuipers