[Bioperl-l] Re: *major* error in genbank parser or am i just insane?

Lincoln Stein lstein@cshl.org
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:27:51 -0400

Here's my 2c:

If the genbank entry has CDS features but no exons, or an mRNA join operator
which is out of sync with the CDS join, then in my opinion the quality of the
annotation is so questionable that BioSQL should throw up its hands and seek
human assistance in interpretation.  Asking the import software to read the
minds of the submitters is beyond what can be reasonably expected, and only
ends up propagating errors.

Lincoln