[Bioperl-l] Sequence IDs and Comment()s

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 02:08:59 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Jason Eric Stajich wrote:

[jasons comments about ids are bang on. It is just a large mess, mainly
due to way a whole host of legacy things work. shucks. What can one do?]

> > General observation: When performing Bio::Seq <-> BSML, I end up with
> > a fistful of objects from one implementation that have no clear
> > corollary in the other. In BSML, there are two generic name/value type
> > containers (e.g. <Attribute name="user" content="Bob"> or <Qualifier
> > value-type="gene" value="actin">) - I've used these liberally to store
> > information that otherwise has no clear home. In the reverse
> > direction, I've been mapping orphaned data into Comment()s of the form
> > "name: Bob". However, I fret about the lack of predictability in
> > delimiter choice (": " vs ":" vs "\t" vs "," etc.).
> >
> > So... What would people think of adding a type() (or class(),
> > category(), meta(), etc.) method to Comment to optionally qualify the
> > contents?

This is just waiting for the new annotation framework to kick in - then
you would have a slot of these attributes (cue - interesting discussion
about each IO system being able to figure out what to do with each slot)