[Bioperl-l] RE: Comparative genomics - regions of synteny and whole genome duplication

Elia Stupka elia@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 14:26:08 +0100 (BST)

> I agree in principle but I think that you also need to keep in mind for
> mouse and human certainly that there are some regions of these mammalian
> genomes that are highly mosaic in evolutionary terms and in fact these sort
> of regions can't be generalised so easily.

By all means, I acutally said in my original posting that I believe we
need an automatic tool, but at the same time we need to understand that
will not give 100% of the answers (as usual, by the way). For this matter
I proposed that:

-we need to show the phylogenetic trees involved to the researchers so
they can infer their own understanding of complex situations

-this automated effort should and will be coupled by researchers studying
specific areas and families in detail and publishing in-depth work on each
of this complex situations

Elia

* http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~elia *
* tel:    +44 1223 49 44 31  *