[Bioperl-l] Re: ensembl-compara going a bit further?

Elia Stupka elia@fugu-sg.org
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 23:59:53 +0800 (SGT)

> Thinking more about denormalisation and other stuff. All interesting.

Wish we could have a little whiteboard session ;)

Another Elia cross-post:

Jason and I will be soon deeply into phylo-compara-ortho-family-omics...
;) It turns out we both want to get stuck in this and try to come up with
something clever in this area. I suspect the (nice) split will be that
Jason will be interested in using it for research (his PhD actually!),
while we (and probably you) will be interested in it as an ensembl
view/service. At the cross between these two extremes there could bioperl
fits nicely.

It also turns out that it presently seems to involve a couple new projects
from scratch (Tree objects, phylip parsers, synteny finders,etc.),
bioperl, ensembl-pipeline, and ensembl-compara. I have just started
playing with the idea that perhaps it's a big enough cake that we should
think of a mini-meeting/week of visiting one site/workshop/whatever to
actually get the whole picture,design and if good willful
brains meet perhaps implementation... any thoughts?

>From my spur of discussion in September I know there is a few people out
there who are interested in the whole comparomics ;) area, speak up if we
should try and organise something, or at least if we should start finally
designing code by e-mail and implementing at our leisure. This is the
time, since Jason and I have started coding...

Elia

--
* http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~elia *