[Bioperl-l] New Annotation interfaces!

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 08:12:02 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> Chris Mungall wrote:
> >

> > > The difficulty I see here is how do you cleanly and generically
> > > tell apart an object from a hash reference in Perl? ref($thingy)
> > > is true and a string in
> >
> > if (ref($thingy) eq "HASH") {....}
> >
> > Ok, it's not all that nice but it works.
> >

> Sure, if the ref wasn't reblessed. I think what I really meant is
> whether you really need to allow for arbitrary hash refs here, as
> there is some (not a terrible though) penalty in code sanity (and
> simplicity in traversing the tree).

The reason why I like arbitary hash-refs in there is because a object
might want to declare a more nested structured (needing hash-refs) without
having to make an additional placeholder object just for the hash-tree.

I'd like to stick with this.

Re: chris' comments. Ooooh. Scary DAG stuff. I guess we'll talk about this
when you are over here. When are you coming over?