[Bioperl-l] Thoughts on bioperl-db

Kris Boulez krbou@pgsgent.be
Tue, 29 May 2001 21:51:11 +0200

I've been using bioperl-db for the last few weeks and it made part of my
life a lot easier. I was wondering how hard it would be to use/access a
different database (which might have a different schema). In this
approach bioperl-db would be a middle layer betweern different sequence
databases.
What would it need other then having a replacement for
Bio::EnsemblLite::UpdateableDB and changing the sql statements in the
different Bio::DB::SQL adaptors.

Such a setup would allow people to access (sequence) databases in a big
organization to which they only have access via SQL.
This might become a poor mans version of IBM's DiscoveryLink
(http://www-3.ibm.com/solutions/lifesciences/discovery.html)

Kris,