[Bioperl-l] Re: tcoffee tests in BioPerl

cedric.notredame cedric.notredame@igs.cnrs-mrs.fr
Fri, 18 May 2001 09:35:35 -0700

Dear all,

> It seems to me  that since version 1.34 is most probably newer than
> versions used when the  test were created, the way TCoffee orders
> sequences in the alignment might have changed. In fact, I did not find
> from the program documentation anything that would make me expect that
> the output sequences should be in any particular order. I'll cc: this
> mail to Cedric to get his comment on this.

t_coffee uses the same default as clustalw: It outputs the sequences in
the order they get aligned, so that the msa itself gives a rough
estimation of some phylogenetic relations. Therfore, if the estimation of
the sequences distances changes a little ( as happened before v1.34) the
tree topology can change as well.

Personnaly I do not like this so much but I kept it because it is the
default of ClustalW. However, that can be changed using -outorder=input
rather than the default '-outorder=aligned.'
This flag is fully compatible with ClustalW. It is documented but I agree
that a mention in the FAQ might have helped :-).

In any case, congratulations for all the work you guys are puting in this
stuff. Do not hesitate to get back to me if you have any
question/suggestion, I will be really happy to help.

Cheers,

Cedric