[Bioperl-l] SeqCanvas v2

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson@gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Thu, 17 May 2001 10:10:00 -0600

Hi All,

I just checked-in version 2 of the SeqCanvas viewer.  I think users will
find this one significantly more useful than the previous version... it
now does what it always should have done :-)

Version 2 is aware of GeneStructureI compliant objects, and will
auto-extract, and map, multiple models for a single gene.  It also
dynamically resizes as you map new features, relieving the requirement
of v1.0 where it was necessary to specify which types of features were
going to be mapped at the outset.  It also has a sequence display window
which shows you where you are in the sequence as you click, and
highlights the sequence of the feature you have clicked on.  This
version requires version 8.2 of the BioTkPerl widgets, which I have
already updated in the bioperl-gui folder earlier this week.  I have
kept a version of the original SeqCanvas locally here in case anyone
finds an ugly bug in this one.  Please let me know ASAP if you do.

There are also some minor bug-fixes in the code itself, and a more
comprehensive documentation with runnable code showing off many of the
features of the module.

<disclaimer>as far as I know, both the published and non-published
methods of this module should be backwards compatible with SeqCanvas
v1.  I have made a strong effort to keep at least the published API
backwards compatible, but I don't make any firm promises if you are
using any of the non-published methods or encapsulated variables.   I
*think* you should still be okay, but no promises!!</disclaimer>

Cheers all!

Mark

--
If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

Dr. Mark Wilkinson
Bioinformatics Group
National Research Council of Canada
Plant Biotechnology Institute